Friday, August 22, 2008

If I could

get some energy from somewhere, I would go to super-wal-mart and get some supplies. None-the-less, we played "mystery bag" as our sensorial project this morning. AT did very well, she got everything right each time so I'll have to pick harder and harder items. GR got everything right when she got to handle the item and put it in the bag, most right when she only looked at the items and only a few right when she hadn't even seen the items. I don't really know, but I think it is good for a 2 year old. I think they had the most fun when it was their turn to make a mystery bag for me. They were particularly delighted when I was able to tell which peek-a-block they had chosen by feeling and/or sound. I need a few more containers, but a sound guessing game is high on my feasibility list.
NOTE: I'm sure is it incorrect to refer to the things we do as games, but they sure are fun for the kids!

Mystery Bag
a very simple game that helps children connect tangible items with images in their minds
we used a dark colored, king size pillow case
10 or so smallish items that the kids are familiar with
put the items in the bag
using only their hands, the kids guess what is in the bag
can be simple like ball, block, shoe; harder like toy food, or even harder like guessing which dinosaur figure is which