Friday, August 22, 2008

Take a step back

I just rushed headlong into this blog without even thinking of introducing myself! I'm Sarah, a stay at home mom. If I were going back to a former career I guess I'd be an office manager or some other sort of office worker that doesn't have quite so many responsibilities. However, I really don't want to do that. I'm quite happy where I am, even on my grumpy days and even on the days when I just can't seem to get any cooperation out of my kids. If I do need to go back to work in a few years, I'm seriously contemplating the teaching field.
Despite my husband's reservations about putting too much info on the internet, I am going to at least put our names out there, because, frankly, it is too hard to remember to type anything else! On a tangential note, it is a crying shame that we even have to think of such things.
** OK so I'm not using their names anymore, it's a good policy that MANY others have adhered to**
AT, 4
GR, 2
AK, 1
Shortly after AT turned 1, it became quite clear that she was learning way more than I knew I was teaching her. She is also independent and focused.
Obviously Montessori was ideal for her. However, we don't have the $600+ a month that private schools cost. At the time, I really didn't have any idea that you could do it at home. It seemed costly and involved. I sent her to a church play-based pre-school to give her some practice with socializing. I picked the idea back up last fall when I decided that if she didn't get into the public pre-k I would school her at home. The more I looked into it, the more I realized I could do it at home with little cost. There are a ton of great people who are also doing this, who share their knowledge and material making instructions. I am still exploring my online resources and will probably continue to do so for a long time!